Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Rotary Around the World


In this post I want to discuss the connections that I have encountered because I was a Rotary Exchange Student.

Because Brazil was the first country to participate in exchanges with the United States, I was expecting there to be a few students that participated in Rotary, but the amount I have met, and the people who are connected with Rotary in some way is much more then I imagined.

For starts my exchange sister who stayed in my house in the states, knew the past president of her Rotract club, who ironically went to school in Florianopolis, at the public university called UFSC (Universidade Federal Da Santa Catarina). Beside that connection I had I meet 3 other past youth exchange students who also go to UFSC. Then one of the girls who work for the program I am with was a past exchange student to both Mexico and South Africa, and she actually knew one of the girls that was in Italy with me. Then the person who is in charge of my program down here in Brasil studied in Texas for a year, and his host sister was a past Rotary student to Spain. I was also given the opportunity through my connections to attend a local Rotract club meeting, which was a nice experience as I was able to met more students who had an interest in helping as well as we shared a common connection with Rotary. Another observation I have encountered while here in regards to Rotary is that Rotary has a good name among Brasilians. When I tell people that I was a past Rotary student I earn much respect, and I am taken more seriously I feel then if I was just a regular college student studying abroad. It is truly incredible how even though we speak different languages and have different cultures, one thing, such as Rotary can given us a common interest and help to create many personal connections that I hope to continue to have. I am very fortunate to have been able to be apart of the Rotary youth program and continue to experience all the possibilities that I can take part in because of my experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment